Permit Information

Although comparatively, few permits are necessary for filming in New Mexico, permits are required for production on federal, state-owned and tribal properties and lands. Permits are also often required for production on city properties, especially historical sites and public streets, as well as for special use of county roads and state highways.

*Companies considering shooting on federal property must connect with the proper federal contact .

Location Permits

  • The New Mexico Film Office does not issue filming permits. 
  • Film permitting is generally handled by the city/town/county in which you're filming.
    For permit questions specific to a location, please contact the nearest film liaison.
  • State owned properties:  
    Please contact the NMFO at 505-476-5600 or via email at

American Humane Association

If you are using animals in your project, contact the American Humane Association.

Film and Television Unit
11530 Ventura Blvd. Studio City, CA 91604
818-501-0123, Fax: 818-501-8725

Fire & Explosives Regulations/Contacts

State Fire Marshall
Santa Fe Office: 800-244-6702

State Film Liaisons