Senator John Pinto Native Filmmakers Memorial Fund
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 22, 2020
During the 2019 legislative session, a fund was established by Senator John Pinto to support the local Native American film industry through a grant program that will make resources available for educational and financial support to Native Filmmakers for the purpose of making films and creating film projects.
Senator Pinto recognized that as the New Mexico film industry moves forward, so must the Native American film industry. These grants will be awarded to help create and increase enthusiasm for film in the Native Community and to open new doors into the film industry in New Mexico.
SB 649 sponsored by Senator John Pinto was passed in the 2019 legislative session. This Bill will provide $100,000 each year for Native New Mexican filmmakers.
- Applicants must be a registered member of one of the tribes or pueblos of New Mexico which include – Acoma, Cochiti, Isleta, Jemez, Laguna, Nambe, Ohkay Owingeh, Picuris, Pojoaque, Sandia, San Felipe, San Ildefonso, Santa Ana, Santa Clara, Santo Domingo, Taos, Tesuque, Zia, Zuni, Jicarilla Apache, Mescalero Apache, and the Navajo Nation.
- The grants are awarded to projects by Native students and Native filmmakers living and working in New Mexico. The grants will be awarded up to $5,000 per project. Only 1 project per applicant may be submitted.
- Funds can be used toward pre-production, production, and post-production.
List of Submission Materials:
- A bio/CV/resume for each project member. Work samples may be submitted via an online streaming service, like Vimeo or YouTube. We do not accept links via file transfer sites such as Dropbox, WeTransfer, or Google Drive. Links can be password-protected and must be accessible until you receive a decision on your grant application. No DVDs, Blu-Rays or hard drives will be accepted.
- Information on project content & objectives, including but not limited to the logline, treatment, artistic statement and distribution plan.
- A line-item total budget for the project and specific budget for how the funds will be used.
- A list of funding/grants received to date.
- 2 letters of support (credibility of the applicant, their credentials, and the reasons why they deserve the funding).
- If awarded, a letter of agreement will be provided by the New Mexico Film Office and must be signed.
Please email the application materials to SJP.Filmmakers@state.nm.us. UPDATED – submission deadline is May 22, 2020. For questions contact NMFO Sr. Manager Rochelle Bussey: email@example.com or call 505-629-2426.
Grantees will be accountable for receipts and disbursements relating to these funds and will make all relevant financial records available to NMEDD, NMFO and the New Mexico State Auditor quarterly or upon request.